Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But, what if you could have breakfast for dinner? This would be great news for the breakfast aficionados, who never miss a chance to enjoy their favorite meal. For the breakfast lovers – and everyone who enjoys great food – the Village Voice hosted, for the first time, a special food event with the codename Brunch Eats breakfast-for-dinner. The event took place on May 11th, at the top of The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum’s Flight Deck.
The Brunch Eats event featured more than 20 of New York City’s top restaurants and bakeries, who are highly praised by the Village Voice, with their best breakfast dishes and mouth-watering brunch delicacies. Of course, the drinks were tailored made for the event. Guests had the chance to enjoy themed cocktails including bloody marys, mimosas, bellinis, and coffee since it’s the first choice for a breakfast drink.
The food event also featured some live tunes, under the stars, provided by The Brooklyn Sugar Stompers, an homage to Jazz’s Golden Age: the 1920’s.
The scenery was, also, ideal for the Brunch Eats. All the guests had the pleasure to eat and drink at the top of The Intrepid’s Flight Deck, amongst propeller planes that were used during World War II. For the VIP ticket holders, there was a unique experience in the VIP Space Shuttle Pavilion, which houses the Enterprise space shuttle. The VIP guests enjoyed additional sips and snacks underneath the Shuttle with a self-guided tour through the Pavilion.
But the delicious dishes were at the limelight of the event. Here is a taste of what the attendees had the chance to enjoy, and the list of restaurants that provided them:
- Le Fond: Asparagus Royale with Country Ham and Black Truffle
- Osteria Cotta: Biscuit topped with Smoked Salmon Mousse
- Butter & Scotch: Mini BLT’s on a Biscuit
- Calle Dao: Five Spices Mahi Mahi Eggs Benedict with Pea shoots, Tomate de Arbol Holandesa Sauce, Soy, Tostones
- The Black Ant: Torta de Pato — Corn Bun with Duck Carnitas, Crispy Potatoes, Negra Modelo Morita Salsa
- Bustan: Bustan French Toast with Homemade Challah Bread, Crème Anglaise, Pâte Feuilletée, Crème Fraiche, Mixed Berries & Silan and Tahini Sauce
- Dough: Assortment of Extra Mini Doughnuts
- Edi & The Wolf: “Kaiserschmarrn” (Shredded Pancake) with Apricot, Mascarpone Cream, Seasonal Fruit
- Eugene & Co.: Black sea bass and scallop “bloody mary” ceviche
- Purple: Corned Beef Hash
- Irvington Bar + Restaurant: Oatmeal with Pistachio Crumble and Blueberries
- Champs Diner: Breakfast Sliders with Tofu Scramble, Soysage & Vegan Hollandaise
- StreetsBK: Cuban Sandwich With Red Mojo Sauce
- Mezetto: Avocado Toast with Hard Boiled Egg and Romesco Sauce
- Nhá Minh: Green Duck Eggs and Vietnamese Ham in a Crepe Pinwheel
- Tom’s Restaurant: Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
- Tygershark: Brisket Congee with Quail Egg
- Barbounia: Homemade Jerusalem Bagel with Salmon Gravlax, Labaneh, Cucumbers and Dill
- Jianbing Company: Original Jianbing with Bacon and Vermont Maple Syrup
- Kingsley: Crispy Pork Belly and Pickle Tot Hash with Eggs and Sriracha
- Solber Pupusas: Pupusa Platter of Cornmeal Patties & Sides with Meat and Veggie Options
- Xe May Sandwich Shop: Mean Green Sandwich
The food event was hosted by the Village Voice, New York’s most influential must-read alternative newspaper. It has independently produced and created such events as the Choice Eats, Obie Awards, 4Knots Music Festival, Choice Streets, Holiday Spirits, Brooklyn Pour.
If you are a foodie and want to catch up with the latest news of Brunch Eats you can visit the page www.bruncheats.com and get all the scoop.
Photos: Laura June Kirsch